Two weeks ago I decided to focus my learning on a particular area each month, historically i’ve been rubbish at concentrating on one thing. Testing is so vast with lots of different interesting areas to research it can become a little overwhelming at times. Something had to change for me:
I had a basic plan in mind – Split the month into two parts. The first 2 weeks will be research and observation (My team and the wider Test Team) and the second 2 weeks will be trying to implement some improvements or make improvement suggestions. The test community has massively helped me during the research phase, there’s many great things that have been written about Testability over the last few years and these normally reference other articles or conference talks so it’s actually been a really enjoyable experience discovering a bunch of very interesting things.
Here’s a list of the Blogs, Articles and Talks that i’ve read over the last two weeks:
- http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2012/05/16/design-for-testability/ by George Dinwiddie
- http://testingchef.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/risks-of-testability.html by Andrew Morton
- http://www.a-sisyphean-task.com/2012/07/putting-your-testability-socks-on.html?m=1 by Adam Knight
- http://www.a-sisyphean-task.com/2014/07/a-map-for-testability.html?m=1 by Adam Knight
- http://testjutsu.com/2016/06/dimensions-of-testability by Ben Kelly
- http://neilstudd.ghost.io/2014/08/07/putting-testability-into-practice/ by Neil Studd
- http://www.developsense.com/blog/2009/07/testability/ by Michael Bolton
- http://www.developsense.com/blog/2014/05/very-short-blog-posts-18-ask-for-testability/ by Michael Bolton
- http://www.developsense.com/blog/2014/07/very-short-blog-posts-20-more-about-testability/ by Michael Bolton
- http://www.shino.de/2009/07/10/testability-vs-wtfs-per-minute/ by Marcus Gartner
- http://tabaradetestare.ro/en/2016/09/13/testing-tours-meetup-testability/ by Simina Rendler
- http://www.testingtrapezemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/TestingTrapeze-2015-December.pdf Testability Awakens: Moving Testability into new dimensions by Maria Kedemo
- http://www.satisfice.com/tools/testability.pdf by James Bach
- https://youtu.be/_VR8naRfzK8 – Visualising Testability by Maria Kedemo CAST2015
- http://oredev.org/oredev2013/2013/wed-fri-conference/heuristics-of-testability.html by James Bach
It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks coming up, I’m planning doing a follow up post when the time is up to explain what worked and what didn’t work. I’ve had a lot of fun concentrating on one area, i’ve slipped up a few times and wondered down different paths but i’ve been focused enough to indentify these lapses and then got on track.
Huge thanks must go out to Huib Schoots – His Great Resources page was the starting point for my research.
Does anyone else take a similar approach to their learning or maybe you have a different method? I’d love to hear about it!